Monday, February 15, 2010

King Lear




I know those are kind of lame, but they made me chuckle for a minute.
Anyways....

In Huizinga's article, I thought the idea of a secret place, specifically when it said "they players withdraw into an alternative place that is separate from the ordinary world" was pretty cool, kind of like the stage transforms into another plane of existence while you're watching it, and the audience transports with it to this secret place nobody else in the world can appreciate or be apart of. When reading King Lear, I was imagining it being performed on stage and it kind of expanding to encompass all the different lands and places the first two Acts require. It probably sounds kind of trippy but I guess it also kind of goes along with when Huizinga talks about "all are temporary worlds within the ordinary world" like the stage becomes it's own parallel dimension only as long as the play is going on, and as King Lear goes from one daughter to the next the stage and space expands and transforms to fit the needs of the play. I don't know I may sound completely ridiculous but that's what I imagined when I ready the article and the play.

No comments:

Post a Comment