Thursday, February 25, 2010

Heidegger- Dwelling Dwelling Dwelling

Besides cringing everytime the word "dwelling" was used by the end of this article, I thought overall it was pretty interesting. I think what I liked the best was how he used the old languages to define what dwelling actually was. I thought the definition of "to dwell, to be set at peace, means to remain at peace within the free sphere that safeguards each thing in it's nature" allowed me to have a better time grasping the idea of building-buildings he was talking about in the previous paragraph. I really liked the idea that in order to consider something a dwelling, it has to be a place of peace that spares a person, but not in a negative way. Unfortunately, in the real world I feel like that would severely cut down on what people would actually consider "dwellings" because I'm pretty sure peace is a rare thing now-a-days, but the idea is a nice and I like it.

What kind of annoyed me was the idea of the fourness thing. When he first started talking about it, I thought he was talking about this dandy picture here
which it's kind of a spin-off of. But the thing I had a real problem with was a)his obnoxious repetition of the phrase "we are already thinking of the other three along with it, but we give no thought to the simple oneness of the four." I actually recited that from memory so what does that tell you? But when I was thinking about these four "elements", I didn't have trouble separating them in my mind. Earth is the ground, the plants, and the animals and that's it. The sky is the sky and the clouds and all the shit that goes on in them. And mortals are people. Personally my own beliefs kind of mess up his theory about the divinities but if I just went on where he's coming from, it basically the idea of God, which to me would be the only thing capable of messing up the separateness (depending on your own beliefs) because of the idea that "god is everywhere"..or whatever. I just thought that the way he was writing it was almost condescending, like the readers couldn't possibly imagine a world where these "elements" were separated in them. But I did like his explanation about how mortals dwell in each of them, I thought that was interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment