Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Bullet Shaped Paradise

So, I was incredibly intrigued by the description of the Convent in the "Grace" chapter. How it starts off, saying "Fright, not triumph, spoke in every foot of the embezzler's mansion" kind of reminded me of my completely off-topic rant from earlier in the week about the emotions that go along with places. But the physical set-up was just so odd I had to re-read the paragraph to fully grasp that a house was seriously built like that. So it says "shaped like a live cartridge" so naturally I googled a live cartridge, not because I don't know what a bullet looks like but blogs are just so boring without pictures. So: what do you know, here's one now. So at the pointed top, that's where all the windows are, and at the back where the kitchen and "play room" there are no windows at all. And since there's no electricity, I can imagine how gloomy and dark those rooms must be, I guess contributing to the "fright" of the place. Then it talks about a veranda wrapping around the windowed part of the house. The more I thought about that, the more I thought that this one house probably looked one hundred percent different on one side than the other, as well as in the day as opposed to in the dark, which depending on the kind of person you are I suppose could be a triumph, but the way I'm imagining it isn't very aesthetically pleasing by any means. And it almost appears that the designer was planning on holding up for a long time, when it describes the "cellar of storerooms that occupied as much space as the first floor" (this is all pg 71 by the way). I know this is a stretch, but it seemed like the house was designed for the people who inhabited it, since it doesn't appear to be a house that would function completely intact. Because of the strange structure of the place, it seems fit that only people equally at odds with society should live in it, such as the embezzler and the women who take over after, who further dismantle the things they find "inappropriate" allowing their own activities to run ramped along with the house. It may sound crazy but I think the design compliments the people who live in it, and almost becomes a character itself by having the same odd attributes as the human characters in the novel.

1 comment: